Why live at Explore Energy?
We are passionate about being a home where residents feel a sense of authenticity, belonging, and inspiration, where we center the values of joy, hope, curiosity, discovery, and inclusion. Together we create a cohesive “energy circuit” that bridges all of Stanford’s schools. Explore Energy House hosts events, workshops, alumni seminars, student-initiated and led workshops, and more. Our associated staff and leadership team provide energy mentoring and facilitate networking across campus.
Explore Energy House is associated with the Explore Energy program under the Precourt Institute for Energy and draws on diverse resources to explore the vast world of energy topics as we connect our residents with existing energy related programs and new opportunities across Stanford’s schools — including the new Doerr School of Sustainability.
Want to live in Explore Energy House?
1. If you are a returning undergraduate, you can apply to take a leadership role as a Resident Assistant or participate in housing Pre-Assignment in March. Find the expectations for pre-assignment here.
2. If you are an incoming freshman, you can rank Explore Energy #1 in your Approaching Stanford form.
Want to participate in Explore Energy House activities even while residing elsewhere on campus?
Join the Explore Energy Seminar (ENERGY 108/208, CEE 108/208).
The Explore Energy seminar series is a weekly 1 unit course, offered each quarter, featuring a wide range of current topics that affect the pace of energy transitions at multiple scales and in multiple sectors. It also includes cross-house exchanges with residents in other Stanford theme houses that have intersections with energy, catalyzing new connections with common interests. Each quarter includes some sessions that feature Stanford itself as a living laboratory for energy transitions that can be catalyzed by technology, policy, and social systems. Stanford alumni with a range of disciplinary backgrounds are among the presenters each quarter, supporting exploration of both educational and career development paths. Repeatable 3 times (up to 3 units total). Instructors: Hummel, H. (PI) ; Swisher, J. (PI)
Associated Staff and Leadership Team:
- Yi Cui, Director, Precourt Institute for Energy; Professor, Materials Science and Engineering; Senior Fellow, Precourt Institute for Energy
- Bruce Cain, Director, Bill Lane Center for the American West; Professor, Political Science
- Mark Jacobson, Director, Atmosphere/Energy Program; Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Sally Benson, Precourt Family Professor, Professor of Energy Resources Engineering and Senior Fellow at the Precourt Institute for Energy
- Jane Woodward, Adjunct Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering; Founder and Managing Partner, MAP
- Diana Gragg, Managing Director, Explore Energy at the Precourt Institute for Energy; Core Lecturer, Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Bianca Patel, Assistant Director, Explore Energy at the Precourt Institute for Energy
- Wahila Wilkie, Program Manager, Explore Energy at the Precourt Institute for Energy
- Anthony Kinslow, Lecturer, Civil and Environmental Engineering; Founder and CEO of Gemini Energy Solutions
- Kirsten Stasio, Adjunct Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering; VP at MAP